LASIK surgery is appealing to many. Because it’s been around for a number of years now, people are more comfortable with the idea of having the procedure done.
Have You Considered LASIK Surgery?
If so, one of your main concerns may well be with regard to LASIK post-operative care. You probably have many questions, and we are happy to answer them.
Your LASIK Post Operative Care Questions Answered
Here are just 5 of the most common LASIK surgery questions and their answers.
- How much work will I miss after LASIK? In many cases, people have LASIK surgery one day and go back to work the next. Your surgeon will have more info pertaining to your particular case, but recovery time is typically quick.
- What is the average recovery time? Your eyes start healing right after the surgery. Follow up visits occur the day after surgery and then six months later. Your eyes will continue to heal during the first six months, so you should treat them with care.
- What are normal symptoms after LASIK surgery? Some blurriness or fluctuations in your vision may occur during the weeks and months after surgery. This is normal. Other symptoms include halos, dry eyes or glare. These usually clear up within six months. If not, you may need a simple enhancement procedure.
- What are abnormal symptoms after surgery? Complications after LASIK are very rare but can include ongoing discomfort or disturbances in vision such as hazy vision/reduced sharpness that isn’t resolved within 6 months.
- How long does LASIK treatment typically last? In most cases, LASIK treatment is permanent. There have been some cases where changes occur to the eye after a while and blurry vision can result. Usually all that is needed is an enhancement procedure or reading glasses.
LASIK Post Operative Care Do’s and Don’ts
Once you’ve decided to have LASIK surgery, you will need to be fully aware of the LASIK post-operative care instructions. Here is a list of the do’s and don’ts:
- Have someone drive you home. Some people have 20/20 vision right after surgery, but there is no guarantee of this.
- After surgery, keep your eyes closed for approximately 4 hours to allow them adequate rest.
- Take over-the-counter pain medication to ease any discomfort.
- Use the eye drops provided as indicated. This will keep your eyes lubricated, healthy and comfortable during your recovery time.
- Wear sunglasses, even indoors, to protect your eyes from the bright sunlight.
- Don’t drive until you’re absolutely confident. If you’re still experiencing some blurry vision, have someone drive you around.
- Don’t rub your eyes!
- Don’t go to bed or take a nap without protective eyewear. This will protect you from inadvertently rubbing your eyes during the night, which could cause damage.
- Don’t wear any sort of makeup for 7 days.
- Don’t apply any lotions/moisturizers around your eyes for at least 7 days.
- Avoid getting soap in your eyes when washing your face, bathing or washing your hair.
- Avoid hot tubs and swimming pools for 3 weeks.
- No heavy lifting or contact sports for at least the first week.
Schedule Your Free LASIK Consultation Today
There have been many advances over the years in LASIK surgery. If you would like to know if you’re a candidate for LASIK surgery, contact us today for a free consultation.